Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Scratches




This past Winter in school we practiced scratchboard illustration. It is basically drawing using knives/sharp instruments on clay boards to scratch away the coating, utilizing the negative space. I liked it immediately, as I've always loved intricate line drawings, and once you get past the fact that you are essentially drawing backwards, it is just so easy to create sharp images.

I received a lovely edition of Peter Pan for Christmas, which was illustrated by Scott Mckowen. He is such an amazing artist and I love his scratchboard take on classic stories, especially the above 'Alice' because black and whites are just the best. His work is reminiscent of the original woodcut artists that created the original illustrations long ago.




*all images from google

3 comments:

  1. The Brothers Grimm cover is my favourite and the one from (I assume) Gulliver's Travels is also so good! You should post your scratchboard illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Grimm one is so nicely done! And yes i believe that one is from Gulliver's travels. Haha I would post them but they are so bad in comparison. Perhaps someday when I am a master at it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree: post these pictures! I love your art work!

    ReplyDelete