Friday, February 25, 2011

Nighthawks




Some of my favorites from Edward Hopper: Automat, New York Movie, and Nighthawks.
 
In school I must have done at least three essays and studies of his work, as there is always just so much to talk about and discover in it. I love how so many of his paintings, and not only the famously titled "Nighthawks" have that solitary, 'up all night thinking' feeling to them. It's that exact moment in the night where time seems to stand still, and you can catch up on stringing all of your thoughts together. If this does not make sense I apologize, its only because I have been doing exactly that for a bit too long!
 
photos from here and here 

2 comments:

  1. I also love Edward Hopper! But probably for reasons he may not appreciate… his paintings are supposed to be depicting like the alienating nature of modern existence (yes? right?) and all I think is how nice it would be to have an all night diner to go drink coffee in and see dark empty streets and just THINK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I think that you are right! And I also dream of having such wonderful empty places to go! I would go out so much more often if they existed.

    ReplyDelete