Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Whistling Past The Graveyard


One of my favorite modern artists is Mercedes Helnwein. I first discovered her last fall in an issue of Lula, and I've been in love with her drawings ever since. So much so actually that I did my career management term project on her career, and how I would like to emulate it in some ways (haha).


I so admire how amazingly she uses graphite. Its a medium that I really want to get back into using more in my own work, as I find I have been resorting to ink more often (which I love, but I need to stay diversified!) She creates characters so beautifully, something else I am obsessed with, and works really hard to bring them to life - through drawings, books she has penned, and even short films. Her work and life seem like a dream.


1 comment:

  1. Calla, I love when you post about artists! I know so little about art.

    ReplyDelete